Shop Newport History
Brick Market Plate
Made exclusively for the Newport Historical Society and handmade in Holland, this custom, ceramic, 10” diameter, delft plate displays an image of the Brick Market.
The Brick Market Building was designed by Peter Harrison and constructed in 1762. It originally functioned as an open-air market with merchants and offices on the upper floors. It has had a varied history of use over the past 245 years, including a printing office, a theater, and Town Hall, and has also been altered and renovated frequently over the years, most recently in 1993. Currently, the Brick Market is the home of the Museum of Newport History and Shop, run by the Newport Historical Society.